Friday, August 28, 2009

Music = Freedom.. if you allow it

I just read a great article by Bob Lefsetz, of the Lefsetz Letter. I've been following his blog for about a year now and while I disagree with about a third of his opinions, and he comes from a completely different part of the world/industry, he's often beautifully insightful. This post is definitely worth a read if you're aiming to work/exist/survive in the music industry.

Today I'll be recording a young band, still in high school, called The George Kay Experience. George Kay is my old english teacher at Otago Boys' High School and a renowned music journalist in New Zealand. He's written for many major music magazines including Rip It Up and Real Groove among others. I remember fondly sitting in his class listening to his opinions on people like Billy Corgan and the Gallagher brothers when I was 15 or so; he thought Billy was a wanker and that Oasis were a bunch of chumps who'd accidentally made it big and knew it. I can't remember what he said about Bono... I really wish I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment